There is an active Bridge Section in the Club which is organised and run by the Bridge Committee. The principal activities are :-
- Duplicate sessions on Monday evenings during winter months, September through to the following April. The purpose of these are to play bridge on a competitive basis but in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. All HGC Members are very welcome .Non-Members may come and play as an occasional (but limited) guest of a Member or by joining the Club as a Bridge Social Member.
- Bridge, Fish & Chip Evenings. These events are run usually on the last Friday of the winter months (September to April). These are seen as social events with Members making their own Tables of Four. Members can, of course, invite guests .
- Rubber or Chicago Bridge is played and there are prizes for those with the best net scores, and the occasional “booby!”. These have proved to very successful events. Those who play in Charity bridge drives will recognise the formats.
- In August each year there is one other event when fun rubber bridge is played, after enjoying a Pimms cocktail, with a later break for salad and strawberries.
- Bridge Matches are arranged with other nearby Golf Clubs that also have bridge sections. Each team is comprised of six pairs and each pair plays against each pair of the other team. The result is determined by the total score of the whole team. As the same cards played all pairs, the final result should add up to zero or near zero. It rarely does! A well enjoyed format.
- Learning Bridge. As we believe that the more you know about how to play the game, the more enjoyable the game becomes, a course of bridge lessons was arranged some years ago and led by an experienced professional teacher. These wintertime courses have proved popular and are for both beginners and improvers (we all can come under the second category!).
If anybody would like to find out more about these activities please contact one of the Bridge Committee: Michael Brown (Chairman) aided by Terry Bates, Chris Bates, Hazel Ridge, Lee Moulden & JohnTurner. Their contact telephone numbers are shown in the Club directory.